The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card is a popular choice for travelers seeking to maximize their rewards with Hilton hotels and resorts. This mid-tier credit card offers a competitive earning rate and valuable benefits, making it an attractive option for those who frequently stay at Hilton properties.
Cardholders can earn 12 points per dollar spent at Hilton hotels and resorts, a 7.2% return on spending based on The Points Guy’s valuations. Although it does not offer an automatic free award night each year, its strong rewards, Gold status, and other perks make it a worthwhile option for many Hilton loyalists. As a card with a $95 annual fee, potential cardholders should consider their travel habits and spending patterns to determine if the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card is the right choice for them.
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card is a popular choice for individuals who frequently stay at Hilton hotels and resorts. This card offers an impressive rewards system, boasting an earning rate of 12 points per dollar spent at Hilton properties. This equates to a 7.2% return on spending, outperforming several other hotel credit cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Cardholders benefit from a generous welcome bonus, allowing them to earn 130,000 bonus points, as mentioned by Forbes Advisor. However, it is essential to be aware of the card’s annual fee, which is $95, and the variable regular APR, which ranges from 20.24% to 29.24%.
One of the standout features of the Hilton Honors Surpass card is the access to various perks and benefits. These include:
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status, providing room upgrades, bonus points, and late check-out options.
- Free weekend night rewards upon meeting specific spend thresholds.
- Lounge access at participating airport lounges with the card’s Priority Pass™ Select membership.
While the Hilton Honors Surpass card does not automatically offer a free award night each year, cardholders have the opportunity to earn one by reaching certain spending milestones.
Rewards and Benefits
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers cardholders a range of rewarding benefits, making it an attractive choice for those who travel frequently and prefer staying at Hilton properties. This section will discuss some key rewards and benefits.
One major draw of the card is its lucrative welcome offer, which allows new cardholders to earn a substantial number of points after meeting the required spending threshold in their first few months of card membership. These points can be redeemed for free stays at Hilton hotels or for other travel rewards and experiences.
Cardholders also earn elevated rewards rates on their spending with the card:
- 12x points per dollar spent on eligible purchases at Hilton properties
- 6x points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations
- 3x points per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases
In addition to these rewards rates, the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card also grants cardholders complimentary Gold status in the Hilton Honors loyalty program. Gold status comes with benefits such as room upgrades (when available), bonus points on stays, and free breakfast at participating Hilton properties. Furthermore, cardholders have the opportunity to achieve Diamond status if they meet annual spending requirements.
Another valuable benefit of the card is its lounge perk. Cardmembers receive 10 free Priority Pass visits per year, giving them access to over 1,300 airport lounges around the world, enhancing their overall travel experience.
Annual Fee and APR
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card comes with an annual fee of $95, which is important to keep in mind when weighing the potential benefits against the cost of the card .
As for the card’s APR, it ranges from 20.24% to 29.24% and varies depending on your creditworthiness. This range is typical for many credit cards, and knowing your personal credit score will help you estimate which end of the range you may fall in. The APR applies to both purchases and balance transfers, with no introductory rates provided for either category.
Furthermore, it’s important to know that there are some additional fees associated with the Surpass Card. For example, a cash advance fee and a foreign transaction fee may apply. To avoid or limit these fees, it is always recommended to read the card’s terms and conditions before applying.
Comparison to Other Cards
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card stands out with its generous rewards and benefits for Hilton loyalists. However, it’s essential to compare it with other cards in the Hilton portfolio and the broader travel credit card market to make an informed decision.
When compared to the basic Hilton Honors American Express Card, the Hilton Surpass Card carries a $95 annual fee, while the basic version has no annual fee. Both cards offer Hilton Honors points on eligible purchases, but the Surpass Card provides higher earning rates and added benefits such as complimentary Gold status.
Another card in the Hilton lineup is the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, which comes with a higher annual fee but offers even more perks, such as complimentary Diamond status, annual free night rewards, and a higher points earning rate.
Considerations against other hotel and travel credit cards:
- Hotel-focused cards: Some cards from other hotel chains, like Marriott or Hyatt, might have comparable reward structures, but it is important to consider your brand loyalty and frequency of stays at these chains before comparing earning rates.
- General travel cards: General-purpose travel cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, could provide more flexibility with rewards, as they allow you to redeem points for various travel-related expenses, not just hotels.
- Airline credit cards: These cards focus on earning and redeeming points for flights and typically offer benefits like free checked bags or priority boarding. If your primary travel expense is airfare rather than hotel stays, an airline card might be a better fit.
In summary, when considering the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card, it’s essential to compare its rewards and benefits against other cards based on your specific travel preferences and spending habits.
Pros and Cons
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers a variety of benefits and drawbacks for cardholders. In this section, we will explore some of the most notable pros and cons of this credit card.
- Robust rewards and lounge perks make this card particularly attractive for frequent travelers who enjoy staying at Hilton properties.
- The card offers Hilton Honors Gold status, which grants cardholders up to 80% more rewards on stays, enhancing their earning potential.
- Rewards can be redeemed for as little as 5,000 points, providing flexibility in the redemption process.
- With a low annual fee, the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers valuable benefits without breaking the bank.
- While the card offers a solid welcome bonus, it may not be as competitive as offers from other hotel credit cards.
- The rewards and benefits are primarily geared towards Hilton loyalists, which may not provide as much value for those who prefer staying at other hotel brands.
- There is no automatic free night with this card, a feature that some other hotel credit cards offer.
In summary, the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers several pros and cons for potential cardholders to consider. Frequent Hilton guests may find significant value in the card’s rewards and benefits, while others may prefer a more versatile card for their travel needs.
The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card offers a combination of valuable rewards and useful benefits for frequent Hilton hotel guests. With an impressive welcome bonus, generous point-earning potential, and complimentary elite status, this card has a lot to offer in exchange for a modest annual fee.
Earning 12 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per dollar spent on eligible purchases directly with a Hilton property allows cardholders to accumulate points at a rapid pace . Furthermore, the card grants automatic Hilton Honors Gold status, which brings perks like room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, and bonus points on stays.
Additionally, the card provides useful benefits, such as a year-end spending summary and payment assistance plans to help budget and track spending. Ultimately, the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card can be an excellent choice for those who frequently stay at Hilton properties and want to maximize their rewards and benefits.