Choosing the right hotel rewards credit card can enhance your travel experience and help you earn valuable points or miles that can be redeemed for free stays, upgrades, and other benefits. With so many options on the market, it’s essential to consider key factors such as annual fees, rewards earning rates, and sign-up bonuses when comparing hotel credit cards.
In this article, we will discuss the top 5 hotel rewards credit cards, providing a comprehensive review and comparison of their features, benefits, and potential drawbacks. By understanding the various options available, you can make a well-informed decision on which hotel rewards credit card best suits your travel preferences, spending habits, and overall financial goals.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a popular travel rewards credit card, offering an excellent return on travel and dining expenses. This card is ideal for frequent travelers looking to earn valuable points for hotel stays, airline tickets, and more.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, cardholders can enjoy a variety of benefits, including:
- A generous sign-up bonus: Earn a significant amount of bonus points after meeting a minimum spending requirement within the first few months of account opening.
- High rewards rate: Earn 5x points on travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, 3x points on dining, and 2x points on other travel purchases.
- Flexible redemption options: Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards, or transfer them to airline and hotel partners at a 1:1 ratio.
- Travel protection: Benefit from trip cancellation/interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance, and more.
- No foreign transaction fees: Use the card internationally without incurring additional charges.
- $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit: Receive a $50 credit each year to use towards hotel stays booked through the Ultimate Rewards portal.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card provides a variety of travel-related perks and a valuable rewards structure that makes it an attractive option for frequent travelers looking to maximize their hotel rewards and enjoy a range of travel benefits.
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card offers a variety of benefits that make it a top choice for hotel rewards. This card earns points within the Marriott Bonvoy program, giving you access to over 7,000 properties across 30 hotel brands worldwide. With its annual fee and rewards structure, the Bonvoy Boundless® card can be a valuable addition to your wallet.
Some notable benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card include:
- A generous welcome offer: New cardmembers can earn a significant number of bonus points after meeting the required spending threshold within the first few months.
- Earning points: You’ll earn six points per dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels and two points per dollar on all other purchases.
- Free night award: Each year, after your account anniversary, you’ll receive a free night award valid at eligible Marriott Bonvoy properties.
- Automatic Silver Elite status: Cardholders automatically receive Silver Elite status within the Marriott Bonvoy program, which provides perks like priority late checkout and a 10% points bonus on hotel stays.
- Path to Gold Elite status: Spend an eligible amount on the card in a calendar year, and you’ll earn Gold Elite status, which comes with added benefits such as room upgrades, enhanced internet, and an accelerated points bonus of 25% on hotel stays.
As a cardholder, you can also take advantage of no foreign transaction fees, making the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card a great option for international travel. With its solid rewards and hotel benefits, this card can provide excellent value to those loyal to the Marriott Bonvoy brand.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a popular travel rewards credit card that offers valuable benefits for frequent hotel guests. This card earns a high rewards rate on travel and dining purchases, making it an excellent option for those who often stay at hotels and dine out.
Some of the key benefits include:
- Generous signup bonus after meeting the minimum spend requirement within the first three months
- 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants, including eligible delivery services and takeout
- 1x point on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, making it a great card for international travel
- Primary car rental insurance, trip cancellation, and interruption coverage
- Transfer points to participating hotel and airline partners at a 1:1 ratio
While the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is not a co-branded hotel credit card, it offers flexibility in redeeming points for hotel stays through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. Cardholders can book hotels at a wide range of properties, from budget-friendly options to luxury resorts. Additionally, points can be transferred to popular hotel loyalty programs, such as Marriott Bonvoy and World of Hyatt, often providing even greater value.
The IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card is a popular option among hotel reward credit cards, offering lucrative benefits with no annual fee. This card is ideal for travelers who frequently stay at IHG properties, including Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, and InterContinental Hotels.
Some of the key benefits of this card include:
- Sign-up bonus: Earn a generous bonus after meeting the minimum spending requirement within the specified timeframe.
- Points per dollar: Earn an impressive points multiplier on IHG hotel stays, as well as on travel, dining, and other eligible purchases.
- Anniversary bonus: Receive bonus points each anniversary year when meeting spending criteria.
- Elite status: Cardholders enjoy automatic IHG Platinum Elite status, which comes with perks such as complimentary room upgrades, priority check-in, late checkout, and more.
In addition to these benefits, the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card also offers standard features like purchase protection, extended warranty coverage, and zero liability protection for unauthorized purchases. For frequent IHG guests, this card provides an excellent option for earning valuable hotel rewards without any additional annual fee to worry about.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a general travel card that offers outstanding benefits for hotel stays. Being a versatile credit card, it allows you to earn unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental car bookings, making it an excellent choice for travelers seeking flexibility in their hotel rewards program
An impressive welcome offer is typically included, as well as other luxurious hotel perks, such as complimentary elite status and annual travel credits. Since the card is not tied to a specific hotel chain, you have the freedom to redeem rewards on different hotel brands and options without being restricted to a specific reward program.
Some notable benefits of the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card include:
- Unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental car bookings
- Access to exclusive benefits and travel amenities
- Flexibility to choose from a wide range of hotels
- Complimentary elite status with select hotel partners
- Annual travel credits to offset expenses
Additionally, this card offers a competitive rewards rate on everyday spending, making it easy to accumulate points not only through travel but also in your day-to-day life. This feature makes the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card an excellent choice for travelers seeking a balanced and rewarding hotel credit card.
Comparison of Key Features
When considering the best hotel rewards credit cards, it is essential to compare the key features of each card. This allows you to make an informed decision that best fits your needs and budget. In this section, we will compare some of the notable features of the top 5 hotel rewards credit cards:
|Credit Card||Rewards Rate||Annual Fee||Sign-up Bonus||Additional Perks|
|Hilton Honors American Express||14X Hilton Honors points at participating hotels||$0||Earn bonus points after spending a certain amount in the first few months||Complimentary Silver Status|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred||1x-5x points depending on the category||$95||Earn bonus points after spending a certain amount in the first few months||1:1 point transfers to hotel programs|
|Capital One Venture X Rewards||2 – 5X points depending on the category||$395||Earn bonus points after spending a certain amount in the first few months||$300 annual travel credit|
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless||6X points at participating hotels||$95||Earn bonus points after spending a certain amount in the first few months||Free Night Award yearly|
|World of Hyatt Credit Card||4X points at participating hotels||$95||Earn bonus points after spending a certain amount in the first few months||Free Night Award yearly, Discoverist status|
It is important to consider factors such as rewards rate, annual fees, sign-up bonuses, and additional benefits when choosing a hotel rewards credit card. Keep in mind that each card may have specific requirements for earning and redeeming points, as well as varying levels of perks and benefits. By comparing these features, you can select the credit card that best matches your hotel rewards preferences and spending habits.
In summary, the five best hotel rewards credit cards offer a variety of benefits for travelers seeking valuable perks and free nights at their favorite properties. Each card caters to different preferences, making it essential for consumers to evaluate their travel habits and goals before selecting the right one.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is an excellent choice for those who prioritize point transfers to hotel programs, while the Hilton Honors American Express Card provides remarkable benefits for loyal Hilton patrons.
Meanwhile, some hotel credit cards like the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card come with increased welcome bonuses and versatile reward options, appealing to a broader range of travelers.
With a competitive hotel rewards credit card in hand, cardholders can take advantage of numerous perks such as complimentary upgrades, free stays, and elite status. By selecting the best card tailored to their needs, travelers can maximize their rewards and make their travel experience more enjoyable.